In Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo has chastised people who oppose girls’ education. Speaking at a celebration of World Diabetes Day this year, the former president of Nigeria was invited by the Olusegun Obasanjo Foundation (OOF).
Obasanjo emphasized the importance of happiness in all human endeavors during the ceremony held at the Main Auditorium of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL), Abeokuta, Ogun State, noting that it could lower the risk of developing diabetes.
In a statement released on Tuesday, Nov. 15, by his Special Assistant on Media, Kehinde Akinyemi, Obasanjo insisted that his personal experience with educating female children had led him to include girl-child education as one of the Foundation’s key areas of interest.
Read More: 16-year-old boy rapes brother’s wife and nine other ladies in Ondo
He said: “When I started school in the village, I had a younger sister, after two years of starting school, my sister started school. I was first in my two years and as I went along, my sister was also first in the school she started. And suddenly, our father decided to pull her out of school, because a girl’s education ends in the kitchen; but I remained in school.
“That singular action made the difference between her development into adulthood and my development into adulthood. And, I thought that when I come back from UK I will send her to school. And by the time I came back from UK, my wife had given my sister to marriage and that ended my sister’s education.
“Then, I vowed that whatever I can do for girl-child education, I will always do. And this unfortunate idea of girl-child education ending in the kitchen is unimportant. The culture of giving preference to a male child over female child is an idea and culture that must be killed. Woe betides anyone who attempts to relegate my eldest child, Iyabo. Iyabo will crush such person, be he or she.”
- Tijani Pepper is a news reporter at Panel News, and gistreportar. He is a passionate journalist in Politics, Sports development and investigative journalism.
- International2023.03.30Manchester City billionaire owner, Sheikh Mansour named Vice-President of UAE
- Aproko Gist2023.03.30Portable is every lawyer’s nightmare – Legal practitioner, Inibehe Effiong
- Politics2023.03.29LP to refund N25m nomination fee to late Imo governorship aspirant
- Aproko Gist2023.03.18Man flogged at his polling unit in Isolo (video)